Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The meek shall inherit...

Part 1

We all know the familiar conclusion to that beginning. For some reason, the beginning of this day saw me with that verse popping into my mind, and from time to time rearing itself into my thoughts throughout the day. Don't you just hate when an idea crops in and won't leave you alone? I suppose that great inventors and/or capitalists and/or terrorists and/or magistrates and/or legislators and/or educators and/or intellectuals get ideas from time-to-time that won't leave them alone either.

What is unique, however, is that the made-up list I have presented would not, generally, include the suggestion of "meek" as THE outstanding trait. Why would, in all the magnificient words of Scripture, the "meek" get it all? See Psalm 37:11, and less some think that was strictly an Old Testament opinion, see also Matthew 5:5.

Gentleness or meekness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It is not an outward action, but an inward behaviour. It is not concerned with self (how do I look to "them" (perhaps the unwashed masses!)) but is concerned with relationships to others.

The whole Bible Jesus boiled down to basically 2 principles: Love God; love others. The trick is to do it "meekly".

3 comments:

  1. Meekly. Yes. 'Cause it's so easy to be meek. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how great *I* am at being meek! :D

    My meekness comes naturally, along with my awesomeness (and attractiveness).

    Boy, am I ever meek...

    ReplyDelete