Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's derby day (soon)







A few weeks ago a block of wood, 4 screws (for axels), 4 plastic wheels and four washers were brought home by our youngest child to be entered into his Calvinist Cadet Corps derby race.

Now, I am not a woodworker, but our oldest child went through a similar contest about 25 years ago, and I (as Dad) had fun using my power jigsaw carving out a few different "cool" shapes (our oldest entered a car at least 2 years running). So, here I am an "experienced" shape carver as my youngest trots home the package of goodies.

"Hmmmm", I thought, "I really sucked last time using a hand-held jigsaw. What I need is a proper scroll saw." A quick trip to Canadian Tire solved that problem. Also got some spray paint (red - Critters choice), some spray lubricant, some washers (for extra weight if needed), some Gorilla wood-glue, sand paper and a sanding block. I then spent some time figuring out with Critter what basic design should we contemplate. He had a drawing book that showed several modern and concept cars. We kind of settled on one, but decided it would be better as a pick-up truck.

So then I started to hack and saw the block, taking cut off pieces, hacking and sawing them and gluing and re-aligning, and sawing some more, and drilling and re-aligning and sawing... finally ended up with something that I thought (so did everyone) looked pretty cool.

That was 2 days ago. Today, my grandson Trenton brought over something his other grandfather had made. Now, that man IS a woodworker. The thing was incredible, and makes mine look like something only a real amateur would do. *sigh*. Oh well, at least MAYBE ours will run the course fastest, even if it doesn't compete for over-all design...

I take some comfort in remembering my oldest still has her original 2 derby cars at her home somewhere. Maybe Critter will keep his for at least 25 years, too. And ya' know, maybe that's the most important part - sharing an experience. I cut, he sanded. I painted, he sanded. It's really not about "winning", because how can you lose when you share moments of joy - and the "race" isn't even on till next week.

6 comments:

  1. Edit for 'scews'. ;P

    I *DO* still have those cars. In fact, they are in the cabinet behind me. They're still cool. ;)

    You should post pictures. Did you add solder to Critter's, too? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture? It isn't finished yet! (no solder - I've upgraded to flat washers as weight. Hint, that's why it's a pick-up truck. Less subtle, more practical 'cause washers can be added or removed as needed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are allowed to add extra weight. You better check the instructions, it would be a shame for Critter to get disqualified.

    P.S. It wasn't just your oldest you made cars for. You also made them for your second oldest two years in a row. Just to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah, but I bet YOU didn't keep them!

    PS - no "extra" weight - but, car can be a certain weight - washers are there to reach that "certain" weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin' good!! :D

    I don't even remember what yours were! What were they??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to send that design in for next year's model. All the new vehicles are funky like that.

    ReplyDelete