Thursday, February 26, 2009

There are only intelligent choices

There are no easy answers. There are only intelligent choices.

Some who read this will remember it was a line used by the Caterpillar Company in the 1970's in their advertisng.

What is is about the human condition that wants the "easy answers"? Well, as Cat reminded us, there ain't no such thing. What there is, however, are intelligent choices.

The difficulty is applying the "right" intelligence. What is it to be based on? What I think? What others think? What is the populist thought? What is the contrarian thought? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Do I discard the "whole", or just certain parts of the "whole"?

Oh where is wisdom when it is needed most? (Hey, like the heading says - there are no easy answers!)

Isa 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD...

Hmmmm, maybe there is an "easy" answer.

5 comments:

  1. And your point is...?

    I think you are trying to say that we must reason together, and that we should turn to the Scriptures for the true answer.

    Is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Every thought or idea we get must be balanced against the Scripture. I can get ahead of myself by readings "others", and against this I must continually guard myself.

    Keep what is useful and discard the rest - whatever "popular" opinion is present at the moment, whatever "movement" is current, etc. The Word never changes and is applicable for ALL generations, when rightly discerned. I can agree with others when they are in agreement with Scripture. It does not necessarily mean I have to reject everything that is said by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so you should have put that summary in the actual post. Remember, people are stupid!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People ARE stupid, but why should I give them all the easy answers, that would defeat the purpose of reasoning with the LORD!

    ReplyDelete