Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Get with the program!

Now I am not so old fashioned as to fear the age of computers. I am old enough that while I was at university, hand-held calculators came out. I bought one. It added, subtracted, multiplied and divided. Period. It cost me the equivalent of six and a half days of work.

So advanced was it, that during one math exam I was not allowed to use it - because it would give me an unfair advantage over the other students who were limited to using slide-rules.

I explained to the exam monitor person that if the other students had used their money to buy one - instead of going on fancy vacations during spring break - there would not be an issue. Since I did not bring my slide-rule, if denied use of my calculator, the other students would have an unfair advantage over me.

Such an appeal fell on deaf ears. * sigh *

Just because "new technology" is available, does not mean that it will be - nor should it be - accepted by everyone at the earliest possible moment.

5 comments:

  1. Which is why you had to hum and haw over getting a blog, just for show. We know your tricks.

    Now people will be able to see where I get the ranting mood from. :D

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have a blog!!! I am so excited!! Please post regularly, I hate waiting. Let the ranting begin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray!! Dad finally has a blog!! :D :D

    We all knew it would happen eventually. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am getting to the age when you hope the "next generation" would step up to the plate and make things better.

    As I look around, it just ain't so. Not yet. Which means there is still work for us grumps to do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah but. Do you have anything INTERESTING to say? Just because you're grumpy doesn't mean you're interesting.

    But hey, if you recount all of the old stories, at least there will be a record of events for your posterity.

    And that is good.

    Makes me wonder what it would have been like if Grandma had had a blog. She used to tell her stories, word for word, over and over again. I still remember some of them.

    ReplyDelete