Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The collie and the sausage

Well, today I managed to get outside for a bit and do some more work - put up another handrail - even dug the post hole myself (a job I normally delegate to the younger more supple among us) because I knew that if I dug, my back, knees, and arms would hurt, which they are doing. Nevertheless, I did it (at least this once) because an operating mantra for most of my life has been don't ask someone to do something if you yourself have neither done it nor would do it.

(Note: I don't do horses, and I fail miserably at cleaning up someone Else's barf. Note2: When I was training to be a McDonald's Manager, I did work at a store doing ALL the different types of jobs. My favourite was working the grill - flip those patties, man! My second favourite was working the Shake machine - hows 'bout a little extra squirt (or three) of the chocolate syrup, man! My least favourite was janitor. Yes, I actually did clean the bathrooms, with all kinds of unspeakable filth left behind - and that was just the ladies bathroom. Yes, the men's did have barf [why is it that drunks ALWAYS go for a big juicy Big Mac - with its "special sauce" - swallow it almost whole, then decide that it and the gallon of beer they drank previously really don't mix, and regurgitate the whole stinking mess via dollops of chunkiness into the "public" washroom of the dining establishment - leaving said deposit NOT in the toilet to be flushed down by said drunk, but rather deposited on the floor by the door for the benefit of the next person to enter, who then comes screaming complaints that the washroom is in DESPERATE need of attention & clean-up], and naturally of the 5, I say again 5 (five) Manager Trainees on duty that night it was I, sadly I, who was acting as janitor and whose duty it was to boldly go where no one in their right mind would go - especially those of queasy stomach - and confront said mess with all the aplomb available to one who retches at the thought of - well never mind what. Needless to say I involuntarily added a small deposit of my own to the pile - which meant that I was tasting and smelling my own barf (which somehow made the task easier - I guess the idea ties into that one's own farts don't stink.)

The other thought that occupied me while mopping was a memory of my Sister's dog, a Scots Collie (named Montgomery Beaumont - Monty for short) - a good dog, but stupid, with very poor table manners. (sample picture - NOT Monty)
Collie

As the baby in my family (which is why I pity Critter), even though it was my Sister's dog, it was on occasion my job to feed the stupid thing. One day I dutifully mixed a large can of Dr. Ballard's Beef Stew with several cups of dry kibble, mixed it up real good (as my Sister had shown me), put it before the dog who unceremoniously bit and swallowed - no chewing - downing the bowl in maybe, just maybe, 5 or ten seconds. Fast enough that I was impressed and surprised. Even more so when, within the hour, the dog started to act real strange and I swear his stomach was rumbling and growling and the dog's eyes grew real wide and he started to huff and puff and wheeze and all of a sudden he arched his back, opened his mouth wide and with a mighty heave barfed out a perfect sausage mixture of Dr. Ballard's Beef Stew 'n Kibble! A perfect loaf maybe a foot long and 3 or four inches in diameter, smooth sided and in one long unbroken piece - there, right on the floor, just inches from my feet. On that sight I managed NOT to barf myself, but broke out laughing at the sight of that poor dumb dog. Now what DID GROSS ME OUT is that the dog, seeing this delightful monstrosity, sniffed at it several times, circling it - making it literally the centre of his attention - and with multiple approving shakes of his tail RE-ATE the thing in several, smaller, bites and floor-lickings with much careful chewing this time around. There was not a trace of it left behind. Having finished this "second" meal, the dog of course wanted to express his gratitude to me, and did, indeed, try to lick my feet/hands/face in boisterous obeisance until I, laughing, managed to fend him off until he gave up and trotted off blissfully unaware of the memory he had left, perhaps permanently, for me to draw on when needed. That was how I managed to clean up Mac n' beer chunks in a McDonald's washroom in London in 1973.

Unfortunately, now when I see barf the FIRST memory is the Mac n' beer, which explains my propensity to barf, too.

All because of the collie and the sausage...)

6 comments:

  1. XD

    So disgusting. I never had to clean up barf at any of the placed I worked at... and I'm so happy about it! (And surprised, really. Do you know how many drunks came in to Subway??)

    And dogs are so gross. Ours tries to eat any barf he finds. O.o

    I can barely clean up my kid's barf. Barely. Luckily, Jeff is usually around if one of them pukes, and he does it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a pair of boys here who have the same problem with cat barf. But they get it cleaned up after a few retch's. And yes this is one of the jobs I have done and will most likely have to do again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEW!!!

    I had trouble not gagging even reading this... barf is so disgusting. Worst thing ever.

    I remember cleaning up Matt's (I think it was Matt's... maybe it was Linda's...) barf one day when I was really little, Mom & Dad were gone and Rachel was in charge and she made ME clean it up! TERRIBLE sister. :P

    I actually think it was Linda's, and Matt and I had to clean it up. Hmmmm..... it was so long ago (and I was so LITTLE (bad, bad Rachel)) that I can't quite remember. :/

    Ugh... dogs are gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story!! I mean, it's gross, but this is something I didn't know about you, and so enjoyed reading it. I do remember you talking about Monty and how dumb he was, though.

    I used to be able to clean barf, after being pregnant I just couldn't.

    As for my place of work, there was often barf. But I always had enough seniority to be able to
    delegate.:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocky came in very handy when all of us were sick with a terrible flu. Y-U-M-M-A-Y.

    I don't clean up barf, happily. But Mike is totally useless with anything bodily generated.

    I don't remember either Sarah. I was mean though, wasn't I?

    ReplyDelete